Monday 3 June 2013

Girls who shred

There has been a bit of an internet backlash today against Thrasher Magazine after the published an interview with Nyjah Huston... Specifically what he thinks about girls in skateboarding.



Yeah, it's horrific isn't it.

Now as a girl woman who shreds and has taken her fair share of bails, stacks and falls I have to say I find this pretty god damn offensive. Women do down hill because they think it's just like sidewalk surfing? 

Really?

Is my judgement somehow less because I'm female? Does my flighty female nature mean that the lessons I've learnt the hard way by hitting the road and earning my scars will be forgotten as soon as the road rash has healed? Of course not, we live in the 21st century rather than the 19th and the female half of the human race are generally considered to be more than capable of making their own damn minds up about what they want to do with their lives. And sometimes what we want to do with our lives is skateboarding, be it downhill, street, slalom or whatever... And you know what, we fucking rock doing it. 

I could go on, but I really don't think I have to, especially seeing as how the bit of the skate-verse that I inhabit has been incensed by the opinion expressed by 
Nyjah Huston, because it isn't skating. Skating doesn't care whether you male, female, gay, straight or whatever... Skating just cares about skating, having fun with your friends, smiling and the sheer joy that those little wheely planks bring into our lives.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment